Thread: 50 Years of "Murder"

Tonight 50 years ago, CBS aired S06E06, "Murder Is A Taxing Affair".

I'm going to say off the bat, not one of my favorites. This is an episode where everyone is chasing $600,000 and it never ends well for the pursuers. On top of that, Five-O seems to be slow on the uptake – something we don't see very often.

Mr. Mike's review is here: https://www.fiveohomepage.com/5-0log6.htm#126

The episode begins with Jason T. Adams (Wydell W. Hughes) who is trying to run to HawaiI to escape an indictment for tax evasion. An agent named Cavel (Don Porter) follows Adams on the flight and kills the dude just before landing.

What ensues is everyone chasing down the bag because Cavel "claims" Adams' bag but it's the wrong one. A flight attendant, Alma Saunders (Jenny Sullivan), figures out what's going on and tries to claim the bag and take the money for herself. Cavell kills her in the shower with his belt.

The couple that picked up the bag with the money in it find themselves on the wrong end of Cavel's gun. Will and Betty Rowan (Jack Dodson and Sally Kirkland) barely escape with their lives, realizing in the end the money isn't worth it.

The most satisfying part of this episode is when Cavel throws himself off the cliff. He's beyond corrupt and is pretty much a slimeball. It wouldn't be so bad but Cavel weaseled himself into "helping" Five-O track down the bag and money. This is where Five-O was a bit slow on the uptake.

It's of interesting note that Jack Dodson was a regular on "The Andy Griffith Show," but that's pretty much it.

Sorry it took me so long today but I had other things going on this morning.

Regardless, Happy 50th, "Murder Is A Taxing Affair"!!

I’m the opposite of you, Bobbi. I think this one is great, one of my favorites from season 6. A childhood favorite. I remember watching it as a kid and being kind of creeped out by how brutal Jonathan Cavell is. Don Porter really seals the deal here. He does a great job playing a man who grows more and more obsessed with retrieving the misplaced luggage. I just think it’s interesting how ruthless and brutal he is, considering he’s just an IRS agent. When he talks about how he’s worked his whole life watching others get rich and trying to pull a fast one over him it really gives an insight into his psyche. Something obviously snapped and he decided he’s had enough and now it’s his turn to “take”. No matter what it takes. An interesting look at a downward spiral for a seemingly normal man into darkness. Like you mentioned that ending where he plunges off the cliff is pretty epic! Probably my favorite ending of the entire series! Also a scary moment when he tries to force Will and Betty to drive forward off the cliff. Again, he’s a cold-blooded piece of work. I also remember the scene of him scaling the side of the hotel balcony - that always left an impression. So much so that when I last visited Hawaii I really wanted to stay in that hotel - it’s the Waikiki Marriott (which was the Hawaiian Regent at the time). Ultimately I ended up staying at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki.

All in all a great episode! The only thing that seemed a bit strange was Jack Dodson and Sally Kirkland playing husband and wife. He looked much older. Actually checking their birth dates he was exactly 10 years older than her. He was in his early 40s and she was early 30s. So maybe it’s not too bad. But I still think he looked older than early 40s. Looked around 50 at least. That means he was only in his 30s on The Andy Griffith Show which again is surprising because he always looked older to me on that show.

Murder Is A Taxing Affair 3 Stars ⭐⭐⭐ Out Of 4 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐.

This is another solid Season 6 episode Murder Is A Taxing Affair. I think this episode works as Cavel The IRS Agent chases the elusive $600,000 with incredible determination and zeal. He's willing to murder to obtain it. We have seen a few of these determined characters before. Mr. Herron embezzled the money 💰 from his company and has it stolen from him in Two Doves & Mr. Herron. Also, some episodes later in Season 6, Hobbs intensely hunts down the people involved in stealing his opals in Flash Of Color, Flash Of Death.

Cavel AKA Marsh has sunglasses 🕶️ and a bearded disguise and monitors Adams movements. This Adams has been indicted for tax evasion and flying to isolated Hawaii probably a smart move. Cavel murders Adams shortly before landing 🛬 hoping to retrieve Adams money bag at the airport baggage carousel. He claims the wrong bag setting the story in motion and intensely hunting to find the $600,000. The airport ✈️ is a great setting to get away with crime. Travelers are busy boarding to depart and new arrivals 🛬 entering the airport. Some waiting for family members to arrive. It becomes a bustling busy blur of activity. Marsh disguise disappears as Cavel now is his regular self. They will be chasing a ghost as Marsh is Cavel.

Cavel's intense greed hunting for the $600,000 results in the death of Adams in the airplane✈️ and the flight attendant Saunders. The Rowans were fortunate to survive Cavel's intense wrath. Agree with the shocking ending with Cavel committing suicide throwing himself off the cliff. I'm always shocked by it no matter how many times I watch it. Also enjoy when McG draws the beard on Cavel. Mr. Mike gives Murder Is A Taxing Affair 3 Stars ⭐⭐⭐. I believe he is right on the money. JC

I think this is a good episode. It comes in the era where Watergate was influencing scripts more and more by showing us villains who were supposed to be above reproach figures from the trustworthy political and government institutions (and who wouldn't have been depicted as the villains in 1968-69 when the showe debuted) In this case, Porter comes off as a disturbed individual who has indeed clearly snapped after what was undoubtedly an unblemished career and his abrupt suicide at the end shows just how far he has snapped. The fact it takes him just a few seconds to decide to kill the flight attendant rather than even go through the motions of toying with her and disposing of her later shows just how ruthlessly fanatical he is. No trace of his more famous role as Sally Field's father on "Gidget" in this performance!

Dodson's presence I'm sure came about because of Bob Sweeney, who had directed over 100 episodes of the Griffith Show (and no doubt also accounted for Griffith's own guest shot).

Originally Posted by epaddon View Post
    I think this is a good episode. It comes in the era where Watergate was influencing scripts more and more by showing us villains who were supposed to be above reproach figures from the trustworthy political and government institutions (and who wouldn't have been depicted as the villains in 1968-69 when the showe debuted) In this case, Porter comes off as a disturbed individual who has indeed clearly snapped after what was undoubtedly an unblemished career and his abrupt suicide at the end shows just how far he has snapped. The fact it takes him just a few seconds to decide to kill the flight attendant rather than even go through the motions of toying with her and disposing of her later shows just how ruthlessly fanatical he is. No trace of his more famous role as Sally Field's father on "Gidget" in this performance!

Dodson's presence I'm sure came about because of Bob Sweeney, who had directed over 100 episodes of the Griffith Show (and no doubt also accounted for Griffith's own guest shot).
    Interesting ideas about Watergate influencing these kinds of stories on Five-O. Not something I thought of but it makes sense.

As for the Jack Dodson/Bob Sweeney connection… Sweeney was long gone as director of TAGS by the time Dodson joined the show (in the show’s last 2 seasons). By then I think it was Alan Rafkin and Lee Philips who were the resident directors. In fact Sweeney left after season 3 so basically in the middle of the show’s black&white Barney run. Sweeney didn’t direct this episode of Five-O but I think he was the producer. He did direct “I’m a Family Crook” where Andy Griffith of course was the main guest. I can definitely see Sweeney playing a part in getting Andy for that episode. With Dodson? I’m not so sure. I’m sure he probably knew that Dodson had been on TAGS but Sweeney wasn’t involved that late in the show’s run.

Thread Information