Thread: 50 Years - Trick, not Treat!

Tonight 50 years ago, CBS aired S06E07, "Tricks Are Not Treats".

The title is very appropriate for the time of year.

The biggest thing about this episode is the number of well-known actors (or later known) who are cast.

We begin with Ron Glass as pimp J. Paul, who has an unlucky death at the start of the show. Glass was better known for his role on "Barney Miller" and later on Fox's "Firefly". I had heard a story he put his "Firefly" co-stars to shame (not on purpose) due to his philanthropy during a panel at a comic-con. The younger co-stars couldn't believe all the work he did.

J. Paul's death threatens to begin an all-out war on Honolulu's streets. Of course, McGarrett won't stand for it and does everything possible to stop a shooting war.

The bad guy in this is Lolo, played by Gregory Sierra. He would go on to several projects but if you're a kid from the 80's, you'd recognize him due his turn on "Miami Vice." He played Crockett and Tubbs' boss before Edward James Olmos was brought in.

Lolo is pinching the pimps in Honolulu, demanding higher and higher cuts from their prostitution profits. The "producers" or "macks" don't like this of course. One in particular, Harley Dartson (Glynn Thurman) takes matters into his own hands. Dartson is an interesting character. He knows what he's doing is wrong but he tries to protect his wife (Lynne Ellen Hollinger) and kids. Semantha used to be one of his girls and Harley doesn't want her back on the streets. She does, however, man the phones. She's the one who initially tips McGarrett that a hitman from Detroit is heading to the islands.

Other notable guest stars include Pat Morita who portrays Phoebe, owner of the bar where the pimps hang out. It's also the site of a major fight that puts Wunton (Wilfred Keale) in the hospital fighting for his life. We see Keale in Season 12 as Truck along with several guest appearances between this episode and his turn as a regular.

We see the usual suspects in the stock players and recurring characters as well. In the end, Dartson's plans don't work thanks to Five-O's work and Lolo winds up dead anyway but not from the hitman you would think.

Mr. Mike does a much better job. His review is here: https://www.fiveohomepage.com/5-0log6.htm#127

I know there's a lot of the Forum regulars who really enjoy this episode. I like it, not a favorite, but I appreciate that it's kind of different from the Five-O norm. However, the team is all about preventing a lot of innocent people getting caught up in the ensuing gang war. So that part is the same.

It's definitely worth checking out.

Happy 50th, "Tricks Are Not Treats"!!!!

Gregory Sierra and Ron Glass in the same episode a little over a year before both would be in "Barney Miller". They join Abe Vigoda and James Gregory as future regulars of that show who did time on Five-O.

Originally Posted by epaddon View Post
    Gregory Sierra and Ron Glass in the same episode a little over a year before both would be in "Barney Miller". They join Abe Vigoda and James Gregory as future regulars of that show who did time on Five-O.
    Don’t forget also Jack Soo and George Murdock.

Tricks Are Not Treats 3 Stars ⭐⭐⭐ Out Of 4 ⭐⭐⭐⭐.

Tricks Are Not Treats definitely is an appropriate title near Halloween 🎃. I remembered watching this back in the late 1980's as a teenage JC. I didn't enjoy it after the first watching. As years have passed, I have enjoyed it more with each viewing. HFO should have filmed more episodes in this part of town with the African Americans in Hawaii. Glynn Thurman's performance as Harley Dartson is particularly impressive. I also enjoyed Lynne Ellen Hollinger's role as his wife Semantha. She is in several HFO 🌊 episodes and does her usual great work. Ron Glass known for his time on Barney Miller later...He is killed very early in the episode as J. Paul. I like this episode as the pressure and tension builds after J. Paul's death. Lolo is exacting more and more percentage from the Macks. It makes sense if Lolo is eliminated then the new man in charge might give a lower percentage. Revenge is also sought for J. Paul's death. A hit man from Detroit is summoned to take out Lolo. There's a great scene where 1 hitman takes out another hitman in a nice twist. I wouldn't place Tricks Are Not Treats in My Top 10 or Top 20 FAV Classic HFO 🌊 episodes. However, it is a very solid episode in the series. I enjoy it more with each viewing. Season 6 has some of the best episodes in the Series. It might be HFO 🌊 at the height of its powers. The episodes are creative and interesting...Hookman, Draw Me A Killer, etc. JC

Thread Information