Thread: A Bomb at 50

Tonight 50 years ago, CBS aired "Anybody Can Build a Bomb" (S06E12).

Lew Ayres is a nuclear physicist, Dr. Elias Haig, helping an organization named Mercury to blow up Honolulu unless they're paid boo-coo bucks.

Dr. Haig's motives aren't all evil but Mercury's is. Dr. Haig helps the governor (Richard Denning) and Five-O to stop a potential a-bomb explosion.

The scramble is on to gather the money form as many sources as possible, including the mainland.

Mercury is an enigma and only communicates via phone. They're a pretty big organization with a bunch of thugs on a small airplane to carry away the loot.

Things fall apart when the bomb is located (not the little one in the park) and disarmed. The airplane is blown up along with all the money but Mercury is still out there – somewhere.

Mr. Mike's review does a way better job for this episode. It's here: https://www.fiveohomepage.com/5-0log6.htm#132

He starts off by saying the show is "… kind of stupid." I would up that ante and say it is stupid.

The plot is far-fetched and things really don't make any sense. The waters are muddied as far as characters go. Needless to say, I don't like this episode. Ayres' appearance can't even save it.

I get they're trying to point out there are people and things out in the world that we can't control but this was not the way to do it.

However, there is a bright spot near the beginning when McGarrett tells Dr. Haig he's talking to cops and not physicists when explaining how a nuclear bomb works!

Happy 50th, "Anybody Can Build a Bomb"!!!

I always loved this episode. Far fetched or not. This one along with A Bullet for El Diablo in my opinion are the 2 most underrated episodes of the season. Plus it’s got a great Richard Shores score!

Thread Information