Thread: Elliott Street interviewed -- and he later passed away!

Had no idea that Elliott Street was a “local icon” in his hometown of Meridian, MS. Looks like he was born there and died there. Glad to see that he got to talk about his Judy Moon character.

Mr. Mike
    Thanks for giving the info on Elliott Street. Remember seeing him on Classic HFO 🌊, Streets Of SF, and other 70's shows. He sometimes played youthful roles like in The Grandstand Play. Thought he was around 70 or 72 years of age. Surprised to hear he was 80 when he passed. Grandstand Play, he was already around 27 and played the teenager character. I think he's also remembered for his great performance obsessed with Judy Moon in Draw Me A Killer. It's a sad day as another Classic HFO 🌊 alumni has passed. Each year fewer and fewer alive to tell their Classic HFO memories. Liked his acting and he definitely will be missed. JC

Draw Me a Killer was my favorite episode. It was also the second Five-O episode I ever saw, which got me hooked on the show.

He did a great job in that one.

I felt he was too old in "The Grandstand Play" to play a teenager.

The Grandstand Play is always kind of a mixed bag for me. I do realize that it’s a good story with VERY good performances (especially Elliott Street, who I think works well as a man-child type of teenager) but I tend to find it a chore to get through, especially the second half. I think it’s needlessly padded out and would have been much better as a 1-hour episode.

Is it ever mentioned how old Gary is supposed to be? Or is he just labeled a teenager? He does look a bit older than your average teenager but again I don’t have a problem with him because he obviously has some developmental issues so his “man-child” look doesn’t really bother me. You can definitely tell there’s something “off” about him which makes sense in the context of the story.

Originally Posted by ringfire211 View Post
    The Grandstand Play is always kind of a mixed bag for me. I do realize that it’s a good story with VERY good performances (especially Elliott Street, who I think works well as a man-child type of teenager) but I tend to find it a chore to get through, especially the second half. I think it’s needlessly padded out and would have been much better as a 1-hour episode.

Is it ever mentioned how old Gary is supposed to be? Or is he just labeled a teenager? He does look a bit older than your average teenager but again I don’t have a problem with him because he obviously has some developmental issues so his “man-child” look doesn’t really bother me. You can definitely tell there’s something “off” about him which makes sense in the context of the story.
    I agree regarding The Grandstand Play's length.

Some 2-part/2-hour Five-O episodes have this problem. They had too much material for one episode, but not enough for two, so they padded them with useless/boring crap.

Grandstand and "Two Dead Cows in Makapuu" both would have done better as 90 minute episodes. Unfortunately, because networks did not want to fill the odd half hour left over, they tended to discourage the production of 90-minute episodes. "The Rockford Files" had one, which I felt was a perfect length.

Yeah, Three Dead Cows was the other one that felt too long for 2 hours. Same with F.O.B. Honolulu - just needlessly stretched out. And then The Ninety-Second War was such an oddity that parts 1 and 2 almost feel like 2 different stories. Like they decided to switch gears and do something completely different in part 2 which ends up being a snoozer. Part 1 was very good though.

Originally Posted by ringfire211 View Post
    Yeah, Three Dead Cows was the other one that felt too long for 2 hours. Same with F.O.B. Honolulu - just needlessly stretched out. And then The Ninety-Second War was such an oddity that parts 1 and 2 almost feel like 2 different stories. Like they decided to switch gears and do something completely different in part 2 which ends up being a snoozer. Part 1 was very good though.
    I felt "A Lion in the Streets" was a mess of a two parter.

Like you said above, in a way it was almost two different stories. The "union election" part of the story basically died out in part 2 and we never found out what happened. And the story of Kimo's search for the murderer of his wife and kid also died out... at least in that episode (it was later fleshed out further in the season).

It also got too repetitive, with Komoku being angry and frustrating his wife with his rash actions, over and over again.

This was another episode which should have either been 90 minutes, or cleaned up to be more coherent and continuous.

Yeah I was never a fan of A Lion in the Streets either. So when everyone praised it as the last decent Five-O episode or the best of the last season I always roll my eyes. I feel the same way about Number One With a Bullet. 2 needlessly protracted stories that aren’t interesting or suspenseful enough to warrant a 2-hour run time. The only good thing in those 2 episodes is Ross Martin as Tony Alika. Well, I like Nehemiah Persoff too. He’s always good. But that’s about it. You’re right about Andy Kamoku constantly blustering and pounding his fists. Got annoying real fast.

The last great episode was The Skyline Killer! Should have been the series finale. McG on top of that crane at the end with the camera swirling around him and panning towards Diamond Head as the Five-O theme swells felt like the perfect conclusion to the series. Basically McG watching over his domain - Honolulu. Keeping it safe.

Thread Information