Thread: Beverlee McKinsey (Joker's Wild) interview from 1991

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    Marsha Goodman interviewed Beverlee McKinsey in November 1991 and later posted the interview on Facebook. It is reprinted here with Marsha's permission, it's also on the page with this episode's review.

In the summer of 1969 I had done a guest shot on Mod Squad. There were two directors for this series, one was Gene Nelson. The two directors shared the same office, the same desk, and apparently Gene, in preparing for his show, had opened the desk drawer and seen a picture of me, and had come down to the set to have a look at me. I don't recall meeting him at the time, but he told me this later.

A few months later, I was sent on the audition for Hawaii Five-0. When I arrived, I was very put off because there must have been thirty girls in the waiting room. One of them was another girl with my agency. After we sat there for about thirty to forty-five minutes, both of us were getting ready to go. I said, "You know, this is hopeless." Plus, the rumor mill had it that this role was going to go to Tuesday Weld or Yvette Mimieux. So, as this other actress prepared to go, I was gathering my things together and she said, "No, Beverlee. You stay. You're the right type. Look around you. Most of these girls are blonde and similar to you, so I think you should stay." And I did.

When I went into the office, Gene Nelson recognized me immediately and had me read for the role. I was told later that there was quite an argument between him and the producers and whoever else was involved because they wanted a 'name' for this part. But Gene wanted me and simply said that and then left for Hawaii. I got the part, and at that point in my television career, it was certainly the most exciting part that I had played.

I didn't familiarize myself with the format or the cast or anything else. In fact, I had never seen the show. I saw my first episode of Hawaii Five-0 after I arrived in Hawaii. I think it was the night I arrived there. I was unpacking and saw it and thought, 'Hey! This is a pretty good show. I like this.' All that mattered to me when I took the part was (1) I was not in a position to turn down any part; and (2) it was a great role.

I had a lot of scenes with Jack Lord. I had been told by some people who had worked with him that he could be difficult; not so much difficult as distant, really sort of pay-no-attention-to-you. I worked for about three days before I met him and apparently during that time, he had seen the dailies and had liked my work, admired me as an actress, so when he came on the set, he couldn't possibly have been nicer. He was wonderful to me. He was very open, very receptive. I have some magnificent pictures taken of the two of us together. He liked to bring his camera and take pictures of the people working on the show. He was incredibly supportive. I didn't give two thoughts to the fact that he was a star and my character was smarting off to him because he made me feel immensely welcome from the very beginning.

The role of Jo Louise -- the show, that particular episode, which aired in December of 1969 -- was seen by some people at CBS who were looking for a girl to appear on Love Is A Many-Splendored Thing. It was, in fact, as a result of my role on Hawaii Five-0, that I got the audition for the soap opera Love Is A Many-Splendored Thing, which brought me back to New York. My husband also got a role on the show; we played opposite each other. We came back here with my son Scott and we never went back to Los Angeles. It was the beginning of my career in daytime.

I encountered no difficulties on Hawaii Five-0. 1969 goes down in my diary as the greatest year of my life. It was the year I met my future husband; we had just begun to live together when I got Hawaii Five-0. He came there about four days after we started shooting and they put us up in the Kahala Hilton. It was immensely glamorous and romantic. We had great fun. We went out with Gene Nelson and his wife; of course, Gene was a big, big star to me. I idolized him--his dancing in movies I had seen when I was younger. We had a great time. I have the fondest memories of eating outside, walking along the beach, swimming late at night. It was a very, very romantic time for me.

I remember the car scene, which was the most dramatic scene I played. We had a terrible time because the other actor couldn't drive the car at a steady speed. The camera car was going alongside and we kept going in and out of the shot. Of course, he had bright lights glaring in his eyes, but he just could not maintain the speed, so the shot was not working. So they put the cameraman in the car with us and all the equipment under my clothing, under my feet, and that's the way we played it.

We had this chase where Jo Louise was trying to get away from the Hawaiian police and I was driving this sports car as fast as I possibly could through Honolulu in rush hour traffic, with the camera truck in front of us, and all of a sudden I could see Gene screaming and waving, "Cut, cut, cut!" He came back, he was very upset. He said to the guy chasing me, "This is a movie. It's not real life. Don't catch her! She may not be driving as fast as you'd like, but don't catch her, for pity sakes!" So we did it again.

The next time, "Cut, cut, cut!" He came back to me and said, "Beverlee, for God's sake, you're a criminal! Criminals don't use their turn signals when they plan to turn!" So we did it again, and they weren't too happy with it; they didn't think I had driven fast enough. So apparently they did it again the next day, using a stunt girl, and she took a curve and missed it and totalled the car, so they had to use mine, whether I was driving fast enough or not.

I loved the show. I thought it was an immensely successful television show. I became a regular viewer after I'd worked on it. All I can say is, it's a very fond memory. I had the time of my life.

While I liked "Joker", McKinsey was miscast, as she was way too old for the part.

Strangely enough, she and Melody Patterson (Tot Kee's assistant Missy in "Cry, Lie") would have been perfect for each other's roles.

Patterson was only 20 at the time of "Cry, Lie", yet her Missy character was supposed to be a semi-experienced criminal who acted both as Tot Kee's personal assistant and partner in crime. This was not a role for a 20-year-old girl! They attempted to make Melody Patterson up to look older, but the entire time I was distracted by her very youthful appearance which didn't fit with the role.

Beverlee McKinsey was a 36-year-old playing a wild young girl in "The Joker's Wild, Man, Wild!" McKinsey looked her age, and would have been a much better assistant for Tot Kee than Patterson, whereas Patterson would have been a much better wild, young, spoiled girl than McKinsey!

Both women were pretty, so they could have still fit the bill for the characters being attractive.

Yeah I have to agree that Melody Patterson was the right age for Jo Louise. McKinsey did look a bit older - especially up close. From a distance and especially in that bikini she sure looked very young and slim! But it’s actually her voice that sounds “old”. Hehe. Not sure how to say it but her voice sounds like it belongs to someone in their late 40s. A little too raspy maybe?

But overall I thought Beverlee did a great job in the part. Definitely one of the highlights of the season as far as female performers go!! Right up there with Marj Dusay (Singapore File), Marion Ross (Blind Tiger), and Joanne Linville (Kiss the Queen Goodbye).

Mr. Mike
    Thanks for sharing this Beverlee McKinsey interview. It's a snapshot of HFO 🌊 history 1969. Interesting to learn 30 women actresses were in Hawaii trying to land the Jo Louise role. Classic HFO was still early in its incredible 12 year run. I remember watching The Joker's Wild Man Wild! as a teenager in the late 1980's. I was impressed with the episode and it's probably a FAV of many of the Forum regulars. Jo Louise was very attractive and she arrived at the scenes taking pictures. A verification of the crime events. I believe it was a well-written episode. Most people are familiar with playing cards and the picture cards have the highest value. A point system for each act 50, 100, 200 etc. Both Billy and Craig were willing to commit the acts in an escalating game to win Jo Louise's affection. I vividly remember Billy "Kidnapping" Stumbles thinking Billy would win the game. Craig needed a big card to jump ahead of Billy. The suspense and tension escalates when Craig decides to murder Stumbles. Unfortunately, Billy is shot and killed in a struggle with Craig as he returns to save Stumbles. Love the ending when Stumbles throws the bottle of liquor away into the ocean. I wonder if he stopped drinking and cleaned up his life.

I think The Joker's Wild Man Wild! nearly 55 years later still resonates with the viewer. It started as a silly game of minor criminal activity escalating to kidnapping and murder. At any point in time, Billy or Craig could have walked away and refused to play. The game would have been over. Jo Louise could have stepped in and just stopped it herself. I would give this episode at least 3.5 stars on Mr. Mike's 4 star system ⭐⭐⭐⭐. JC

Originally Posted by ringfire211 View Post
    Yeah I have to agree that Melody Patterson was the right age for Jo Louise. McKinsey did look a bit older - especially up close. From a distance and especially in that bikini she sure looked very young and slim! But it’s actually her voice that sounds “old”. Hehe. Not sure how to say it but her voice sounds like it belongs to someone in their late 40s. A little too raspy maybe?

But overall I thought Beverlee did a great job in the part. Definitely one of the highlights of the season as far as female performers go!! Right up there with Marj Dusay (Singapore File), Marion Ross (Blind Tiger), and Joanne Linville (Kiss the Queen Goodbye).
    I agree she did a good job with the role. She was just too old. Mike and I both independently noticed this when we wrote our reviews. She did appear youthful when shown from a distance, but there were enough close ups of her face to where she looked every bit of her mid-30s age.

There were some weird casting choices on Five-O when it came to age. Sometimes young people were cast into roles where you expected the character to be older, and other times they actors were too old for the role they were playing. I remember one episode where the actor playing an "older brother" of a youngish woman looked 50. I looked up the actor, and indeed he was 50!

Thread Information