Thread: Young at 50 Years

Hello all! It's that time of year again to celebrate some 50th Anniversaries!

50 years ago tonight, CBS aired S07E01 – “The Young Assassins”

It’s amazing how relevant Five-O’s episodes are, even today. This episode is perfect proof!

A young gang is led by a guy named Army (Scott Marlowe, who does a really good job!) to put fear into peoples’ hearts. They have indiscriminately shot multiple tourists over the last 10 days.

This radical group, People’s Attack Group (PAG), seems to be something of a cult under Army’s rule. His real name, Richard Stanwood, offers up a huge rap sheet. The younger peeps, including a young pre-CHiPs Larry Wilcox and James A. Simpson (the kid who was shot in S05E04, "Pig In A Blanket"), hang on Army’s every word, even though those words are just plain dumb. I can tell you from a writing perspective, politics is tough. Even if it’s a ‘terror group’. Most of us can’t get inside those peoples’ heads because, quite frankly, it’s very very dark. But considering everything, the writers did pretty well with what they had.

Five-O calls on the expertise of Kurt Metzger, PhD (Wright Esser) to get an idea of what the group’s next move is. What happens next throws McGarrett for a loop – Danno, who was meeting with Kurt, is kidnapped by PAG along with Metzger. Army isn’t pleased one bit about what Metzger has said about them in articles written for the paper. He’s even more unhappy when one of the underlings, Vera (Genevieve Ann Nelson) is killed after she runs from the cops, led by Nick (Danny Kamekona). Metzger is killed as a result and unceremoniously dumped at the governor’s front door.

McGarrett and the governor (Richard Denning) pull out all the stops to try to locate the group. They’re finally trailed to a hideout at Battery Harlow. After much struggle, everyone is tracked down and McGarrett goes about beating the crap out of Army because he thinks Danno is dead as well. The episode ends with Danno emerging scraped up but alive. McGarrett is immediately relieved.

I know I didn’t include everything. Fortunately, Mr. Mike has an excellent review here that does: https://www.fiveohomepage.com/5-0log7.htm#145

I like this episode a lot. It’s a good start to Season 7 and stresses Five-O quite a bit. McGarrett nearly loses his mind when he opens the package that Jenny (Peggy Ryan, in the credits as Margaret Ryan) hands him. Notice that he asks her if it’s been x-rayed. “I already did.” As in, she made sure it was done long before he got it.

I also appreciate the teamwork used in this episode. Not only do we see the Civil Defense trucks, we see Ben and Nick working hand in hand. As well, Danno isn’t waiting for stuff to happen, when he hears the gunshots, he’s ready to pounce by pushing the door onto Army. It’s pure survival mode!

This is an excellent start to the new Season. I will warn you now, the one for the 24th might be late, but I will do the best I can!

In the meantime, Happy 50th, “The Young Assassins”!!

Agree with you Bobbi! The Young Assassins is an excellent episode and strong start to Season 7. Young Assassins is an episode I enjoy more and more with each watch. I probably would give The Young Assassins 3.75 Stars ⭐⭐⭐.75 Out Of 4 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐. The HFO writers push most of the right buttons in this suspenseful and tension-filled episode. Stanwood is a strong leader and Vera is a strong 2nd in command. I believe what makes The Young Assassins an outstanding episode...The People's Attack Group (PAG) will attack anyone. Nobody is safe in Hawaii. Some groups will go after wealthy businessmen or institutions they have contempt for. PAG will strike anyone. I'll never forget when PAG first kidnap Danno and Metzger. It was very surprising and shocking! I think the writers made the right decision killing Metzger. It shows PAG meant business and increases the suspense and tension knowing Danno would be next. It also was an intelligent decision to say they released Victor and Driver. Usually some time with paperwork and people getting their belongings. Gives them some time to find the PAG location. Love the scene when the PAG opened the escape door and McG was on the other side. McG going after Stanwood was also believable. It was very emotional and tense hours trying to find Danno and save his life. Excellent episode! I knew when Vera was chopped Stanwood was going to explode. Poor Metzger! Then dumped out like garbage. JC

Thread Information